Food is what living beings eat and drink for their livelihood . The term comes from Latin Alimentaum and allows to name each of the solid or liquid substances that nourish the Humans , plants or animals.
In addition to all this it is important to know that food can be classified into several types. However, if we consider what is the composition of those we would find two large groups:
• The organic ones, which are the ones that give us vitamins, fats, carbohydrates and proteins.
• Inorganics, which give us trace elements, water and minerals. That is, they give us energy.
However, in the same way, we can classify foods based on what their role in nutrition would be. In this way, we would run into three different types:
• Forming foods, which are rich in calcium and protein.
• Energy foods, which differ because they are very valuable in terms of fats and carbohydrates.
• Regulatory foods, which are identified because they have important levels of minerals, vitamins and trace elements.
However, the most common and used classification of foods is the one that groups them into:
• Cereals, potatoes and legumes.
• Milk and derivatives, which provide a significant number of nutrients.
• Meat. This, together with the two previous groups, is the one that gives the human body the necessary proteins.
• Fats and oils, where there are, for example, nuts.
• Fruits and vegetables, which are identified by their great wealth in terms of minerals and vitamins.
This classification is the one used when making a healthy and balanced diet that provides the needs of each organism. Thus, for example, so that children can grow, it is advised that their diet includes meat, fish, eggs and legumes.
The food allows the regulation and maintenance of metabolism functions . Without food, living things cannot enjoy good Health and they even have a chance to die. Food, on the other hand, acts on a psychological level to provide satisfaction. In these cases, the food does not fulfill so much a nutritive function, but it provides pleasure (as in the case of a hamburger or a chocolate).
The nutrients It is the food substances that are essential for the maintenance of living organisms thanks to their biochemical actions. These nutrients provide Energy and allow to metabolize other substances that are vital. Vitamins, proteins and carbohydrates are examples of organic nutrients, while water and minerals are inorganic nutrients.
Most of the food comes from animals (cow meat , Pork Meat , fish , etc.) and vegetables (fruits , vegetables ). There are, however, foods from other sources, such as certain mushrooms (mushrooms , gargoyles ).
It is known as taboo food to those who are not considered acceptable for consumption, whether for cultural or religious reasons. Beef is taboo by Hindus, while pork is a taboo food for Jews.
Food is a symbolic sense, it can be anything that allows to maintain the existence of something : "Coal is the food of fire", "I think I subsist thanks to faith, which is the food that sustains me every day".